Many people are enthusiastic about growing plants indoors, but some are limited by the space inside their homes. If you have a small place but want to grow your plants, having a grow room is the way to go.
A grow room is a little greenhouse system where you could grow plants without using a lot of space. Internet sites like Acorn Horticulture have a guide on grow tent setup. This could help you build a room for your plants using a tent.
If you’re done setting up your grow room, the next thing to do is choose your plants. There’s a wide variety of plants that could live indoors. Here are some things to consider when choosing plants for your grow room:
1. Try A Hydroponics System
A hydroponics system is a way of cultivating plants in a grow room without the use of any soil. This system uses water to provide nutrients and oxygen to the plant, promoting accelerated expansion, higher yields, and higher efficiency among plants.
Plants that are grown in soil tend to continually search for nutrients to keep them alive. On the other hand, plants that are cultivated using a hydroponics system are directly exposed to water and nutrients, thus making them more self-sustaining.
Aside from that, this system could be used even in tight grow room spaces. If you have a small apartment but love plants, a hydroponics system could be the perfect solution.
Regardless of your grow room’s size, you can try any of these hydroponics systems depending on the type of plant you want to grow:
- Wick Hydroponics Systems: This is the most fundamental type of hydroponics. It’s also ideal for smaller plants that could survive with very little water and nutrients. You don’t need water pumps for this method. All you need is a wick or a cotton rope to transfer water and nutrients into the plant.
- Deep Water Culture (DWC) Hydroponics Systems: This is best for small plants that don’t take a long time to mature. In a DWC scheme, the roots of the plants are submerged in a nutrient solution in a small tank to ensure they have a constant supply of the essential elements for growth.
- Nutrient Film Technique (NFT) Hydroponics Systems: This is typical for growing leafy green vegetables and herbs.
2. Grow Room Size And Location Matters
People sometimes make the mistake of selecting plants before determining where they should be placed. The reality is that you should first consider where you want to set up your grow room before deciding which plant to purchase.
Most plant growers would agree that the placement of your grow room is an essential element in growing plants. Here are some factors to consider before you build your grow room:
- Growing Goals: Grow rooms could be feasible even in small spaces. Finding a spot for it also depends on your goals. If you want to have small plants, you could try converting a cupboard or using a grow tent for bigger plants.
- Power Outlets: Light is among the basic things plants need to thrive. If you’re living in a tiny apartment with few windows, artificial light could be used instead of natural daylight. Thus, a good place to set your grow room is near power outlets where you could plug in your lights.
- Water Source: A good water source is also a key component in grow rooms, especially if you’re using a hydroponics system. Choose a place where you could access water easily.
Depending on the size and setup of your grow room, you could determine the size of the plants you need. A small grow room could accommodate plants that are 2 ft. tall, while bigger grow rooms could fit taller plants.
3. Plants Need Light
As you know, plants need light to survive. They require it for photosynthesis, a vital process where light is transformed into chemical energy. Different plant species have different requirements for light within their environment.
Therefore, it’s necessary to ensure that the plants you purchase are appropriate for the amount of light you have in your grow room. Some plants, like succulents, need strong light to survive. Other plants just require a minimum amount of light.
Having a small space won’t hinder you from cultivating plants in your own home. But whatever plant you choose to grow, it needs to be cared for and loved to grow properly. Providing the best grow room for your plants is the best way to take care of them.